Hey everyone! I hope your January is going well so far (ok be honest, who has given up on their New Years goals already? Or who just hasn’t started yet? I know I’m guilty!). Today I’m going to share a few things that always help me turn a bad day into a good one because self care is a one of my New Years goals for 2019! I hope you can benefit from my tips the same way that I do. But before I continue: if you find yourself having more bad days than good or you’re struggling with something difficult or traumatic, you may be suffering from depression. If this is you, I urge you to reach out to a trusted friend, doctor, or search the web to find a support group in your area.
It’s so important to care for our mental health as it affects our entire wellbeing. That being said, let’s make 2019 the year of radical self love, starting with these few simple self care tips for turning your day around.
1. Light a candle or spray some perfume on yourself. Smell is such an important factor in determining our mood, so choose one that conjures up positive, joyful imagery.
2. Take a hot shower or bath. I don’t know about you, but I always feel better when I’m fresh and clean. A nice, relaxing shower can make it feel as if I’m literally washing away the bad day. If you need to, tidy up your bathroom beforehand so you aren’t affected by the stress of a cluttered bathroom. I chose to transfer all of our hair and body products to these 16oz amber glass bottles to encourage a relaxing spa vibe. I also use the 8oz version for our body wash, lotion, and hand soap. (Gotta love AmazonPrime!)
3. If this is something you enjoy doing, take the time to do your hair and makeup and get dressed. I tend to feel more accomplished and happier when I’ve readied myself for the day even if I’m just going to end up sitting on the couch on my phone. I don’t want to imply that there is a connection to your image and your self worth, as those two are completely separate things. Wherever you are in your self confidence journey, take care to do whatever brings you the most joy rather than doing what you think other people want or expect from you.
4. Treat yourself to a simple pleasure (like a coffee or tea) or use something you’ve been perpetually saving for a “special occasion.” Is anyone else guilty of saving all their nice things for these so-called “special occasions” that never actually seem to happen? I’m ashamed at how many expensive gifts or treasures from my overseas travels that have actually expired because I didn’t use them. I guess none of my occasions were deemed special enough. How sad is that! Remember that every day you are alive is a special occasion and you should treat it as such! This tip is a bit more of a lifestyle shift, but it’s one that you truly deserve. So go ahead and pop open that expensive champagne you’ve been saving and ENJOY it. Dare to experience joy in everyday moments.
5. Open the windows and get some fresh air in- sitting out in the sun is even better! You can also turn on some bright lights (even during the day). I prefer to use bright white daylight bulbs as something about warm bulbs tend to bring me down.
6. Make your bed a haven. If you’re anything like me, you probably have piles of disorganized clothing scattered across your unmade bed (and the floor, ugh) at any given moment. This visual clutter causes us so much unnecessary stress! Our bedrooms are supposed to be our places of rest, let’s treat them that way! I highly recommend The Life-Changing Manga of Tidying Up: A Magical Story by Marie Kondo to help you get started on your organizational journey. It’s just like her original book, but it’s MANGA. If manga isn’t your thing, you can buy The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up here. But for now, you can just go ahead and shove those clothes piles under the bed, I won’t tell Marie! 😉
7. Surround yourself with beauty. Freshly cut flowers, a piece of art that moves you, or even scrolling through your inspiration board on Pinterest can lift your spirits. There is something so life giving about beautiful things, so place things around you that invoke happiness.
I hope you enjoyed today’s post! Leave a comment telling me YOUR favorite ways to turn a bad day around!